Hilliards House of Candy is a family owned business in its fourth
In the early 1900s, Perley and Jessie Hilliard, husband and wife, were
introduced to the business of candy through Jessie’s father, Marcellus Parker,
who owned a candy store in the Boston suburb of Haverhill.
Yet it wouldn’t be until 1919, when Perley Hilliard took a job making
candy in the Priscilla Sears factory in the Boston suburb of Hyde Park that a
Hilliard would begin to learn first-hand,
and hands-on, the craft of making
Perley Hilliard got the candy bug –
and he was not content to work and
make candy for someone other than
Perley and Jessie Hilliard needed to
make and sell their own candy, which
they started doing in 1924 when they
and a business partner opened a candy
store in the Wollaston section of Quincy.
Perley and Jessie were passionate
about making candy, and they closely
studied recipes, and gave great care to creating their own.
Fundamental to every one of the candies they made were quality
ingredients. There would be no scrimping – a commitment that has been
diligently honored through the decades and from one century into the next.
As Perley and Jesse grew a business they also grew a family. The couple
had seven children – Douglas, Ruth, Elizabeth, Alan, Dorcus, Phillip, and
Christine – all of whom would become involved in the family enterprise that
would operate stores in 14 locations; among those sites were North Quincy,
West Roxbury, Newtonville, Newton Highlands,
Newton Center, North Weymouth, Lexington, Martha’s
Vineyard, Hanover, Weymouth Landing, and West
In 1950, one of the Hilliard children, Alan, and his
wife, Barbara, opened a Hilliards Kitch-In-Vue Candy
(as the candy was made in a kitchen in view of
customers) store in North Easton on Interstate Rte. 138.
The store, located in a white with blue trimmed former house, with
its signature giant candy box affixed to its facade, became a landmark for
people in the region and beyond.
Over the next 30 years,
Candy drew crowds of candy
enthusiasts, and those
looking for unique gifts.
In 1981, Alan Hilliards
daughter, Judy, and
husband, Charlie, bought
the business and renamed
it Hilliards House of Candy.
excellence, and premium candy making did not miss a beat.
Judy and Charlie McCarthy opened new stores, in Hanover, in 1989,
and in Canton, in 2003.
Hilliards House of Candy launched an online store which soon
became busy, and is only getting busier.
Judy and Charlie have three children – Brad, Erin, and Maegan.
Each of the children, at
one time or another,
would work in the store
and learn the art and
business of making
A family and
continues, and now
operating in the 21st Century, Hilliards House of Candy is as proud and
fully committed as ever to delighting its customers, making people smile,
and maintaining the uncompromising commitment to confection
perfection it started so long ago.
Easton, Rte. 138
Canton Village Shoppes
Hanover, Rte. 123
A chocolate business built on generations of tradition...
Proud member of the following organizations:
Retail Confectioner International
Judith Hilliard McCarthy, Current Member of the Board of Directors
New England Retail Confectioners Association Past President Charles C. McCarthy
New England Ice Cream Retailers Association
Neponset Valley Chamber of Commerce
Easton Chamber of Commerce
Hanover Chamber of Commerce
Metro South Chamber of Commerce
Click here to View or Print PDF