A chocolate business built on generations of tradition...
Hilliards’ Chocolates – a leading maker of fine chocolates and specialty candies – is a family owned business in its fourth generation.
In the early 1900s, Perley and Jessie Hilliard, husband and wife, were introduced to the business of candy through Jessie’s father, Marcellus Parker, who owned a candy store in the Boston suburb of Haverhill. Yet it wouldn’t be until 1919, when Perley Hilliard took a job making candy in the Priscilla Sears factory in the Boston neighborhood of Hyde Park that a Hilliard would begin to learn first-hand, and hands-on, the craft of making fine chocolate and other sweets.
Perley Hilliard got the candy bug – and he was not content to work and make candy for someone other than himself.
Perley and Jessie Hilliard needed to make and sell their own candy, which they started doing in 1924 when they and a business partner opened a candy store in the Wollaston section of Quincy.
Perley and Jessie were passionate about making candy, and they closely studied recipes, and gave great care to creating their own. Fundamental to every one of the chocolates and candies they made were quality ingredients. There would be no scrimping – a commitment that has been diligently honored through the decades and from one century into the next.
As Perley and Jessie grew a business they also grew a family.
In 1950, one of the Hilliard children, Alan and his wife Barbara, opened a Hilliards‘ Kitch-In-Vue Candy (as the candy was made in a kitchen in view of customers) store in North Easton on Interstate Rte. 138. The store, located in a white with blue trimmed former house, with its signature giant box of assorted chocolates affixed to its facade, became a landmark for people in the region and beyond.
Over the next 30 years, Hilliards’ Kitch-In-Vue Candy drew crowds of candy enthusiasts, and those looking for unique gifts. In 1981, Alan Hilliards’ daughter, Judy, and husband, Charlie, bought Hilliards' Kitch-In-Vue Candy and renamed it Hilliards' House of Candy.
Tradition, quality, and excellence in the making of chocolate and candy did not miss a beat. Judy and Charlie McCarthy opened new stores, in Hanover, in 1989, and in Canton, in 2003. Hilliards' House of Candy launched an online store which soon became busy, and is only getting busier.
Judy and Charlie have three children – Brad, Erin, and Maegan. Each of the children, at one time or another, would work in the store and learn the art and business of making chocolates and candy. A family and business legacy continues, and now operating in the 21st Century.
In the fall of 2014, Hilliards’ House of Candy changed its name to Hilliards' Chocolates. In November 2014, Hilliards’ Chocolates relocated its Canton store to Mansfield.
In 2016 after a devastating water damage accident, the Hanover store was relocated to "the old fire station" building on Rte.53 in Norwell.
These changes support and continue the Hilliard family commitment to delighting customers, making people smile, and maintaining an uncompromising dedication to confection perfection it started so long ago. Hilliards' Chocolates – built on … and maintaining – generations of tradition.
Hilliards Chocolates is a proud member of the following organizations:
- Retail Confectioner International - Judith Hilliard McCarthy, Past President of the Board of Directors
- New England Retail Confectioners Association Past President Charles C. McCarthy
- New England Ice Cream Retailers Association
- Tri Town Chamber of Commerce
- Easton Chamber of Commerce
- Metro South Chamber of Commerce